Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is determined to start the new season on a high in order to avoid a repeat of the 2015/16 campaign where the Blues slumped to a lowly 10th in the league standings.
The Blues had been crowned champions during the 2014/15 season, and none would have predicted what would happen next as the Blues lingered near the drop zone when Jose Mourinho was axed in December 2015.
Conte took the Blues to the Premier League title during his maiden season in English management last term, but he is expecting a tougher challenge next year with the Champions League adding the extra pressure of games. The former Juventus boss cited that he would like to avoid a similar season to that of Mourinho’s in 2015/16 whilst he will also try to keep his managerial position unlike Mourinho and Claudio Ranieri, who were sacked within months of their respective league triumphs for Chelsea and Leicester City respectively.
“We know the difficulty of the next season and for sure we want to avoid the Mourinho season with Chelsea. Continue reading
Antonio Conte says that he is disappointed to see the referee Mark Clattenburg leave the Premier league.
One of the best referees in England, Clattenburg has been given the opportunity to take charge of some of the biggest games like the English FA Cup final. He was regarded as the next big thing in English football refereeing aside from Howard Webb, who retired from refereeing a few years ago. Clattenburg was recently rumoured to be considering offers from China and Saudi Arabia. These were far more lucrative than the £ 100,000 per year contract he currently receives as the Premier League referee.
In addition to this contract, Clattenburg is understood to be receiving around £5,000 per match. Now, the referee will be receiving a whopping £ 500,000 per year. More importantly, this will be money that does not attract any taxes since Saudi Arabia is a tax haven. It is also understood that China offered him around £ 1 million per year in order to be the head of refereeing. Continue reading
£32 million was the transfer fee that Chelsea had to pay in order to sign N’GoloKante from Leicester City, the French player completed his move to Stamford Bridge on July 16 of 2016 and so far it seems like he has impressed the head coach Antonio Conte.
N’GoloKanté has performed in all 3 of the opening league matches of Chelsea and Antonio Conte has stated himself that he has been impressed by what he has seen in relation to the 25 year old French midfielder.
On August 15, Chelsea played against West Ham in their opening match of the season 2016-17 and Antonio Conte said: “N’Golo is a great player, a great buy. He’s important for the team; he has good technique and fantastic stamina. He’s able to cover a lot of space and help his team-mates always. We are happy with his performance but I was happy with the performance of all my players.”
This was the statement released by Antonio Conte as the Italian manager said that he was impressed by the performance that N’GoloKanté displayed during that match. Chelsea went on to win that game with a final scoreboard of 2-1 and they have continued their string of positive results with successive triumphs over Watford and Burnley. Continue reading
Guus Hiddink believes that Chelsea were disappointing in the 3-0 loss against Manchester City because some of the players may have started to focus on the Euro 2016.
The summer bonanza is now the biggest prize for many of the Chelsea players like Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, and so on. The large number of European-based players in the Chelsea squad could be blamed for the loss, according to Hiddink. The blues were lambasted by several pundits for their unprofessional attitude in this game. For much of the opening minutes, Chelsea played with zest and endeavour but they were undone by a fortunate goal for City.
Sergio Aguero’s effort to a huge deflection from Gary Cahill’s foot to get past Thibaut Courtois. The goalkeeper was later sent off in the game after conceding a penalty. Aguero scored his hat-trick, but Chelsea will look back on two of them being fortunate. The club, though, were frequently exposed on the counter-attack by the brilliant Samir Nasri and Kevin De Bruyne. Chelsea players will want to finish the season as soon as possible. It has been one to forget after the club underwent a managerial change once again. Finishing outside the top four will feel like a new feeling for most connected with the club, but they will have to accept the disappointment of not being in Europe next season. Continue reading
Chelsea sent out a clear message of intent to their title rivals by thumping Arsenal 6-0 at Stamford Bridge Saturday lunchtime.
Samuel Eto’o put the hosts in front on five minutes, and their advantage was doubled just two minutes later through Andre Schurlle – both goals coming from clinical counter-attacking from Jose Mourinho’s side.
Then, on seventeen minutes, the Blues were awarded a penalty after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain tipped an Eden Hazard shot away with his fingertips.
The incident led to a sending off, it was defender Kieran Gibbs who was dismissed after referee Andre Marriner appeared to have mistaken him as the culprit.
Hazard duly converted the penalty, before Oscar made it 4-0 three minutes before the break.
The Brazil international then scored his second and his sides fifth on sixty-six minutes before substitute Mohamed Salah completed the Gunners’ misery with his first goal for the club five minutes later.
The result sees Chelsea remain four points of clear of second place Liverpool, who beat Cardiff City 6-3 later in the day.
The Merseyside club will have the chance to reduce that gap when they host Sunderland on Wednesday evening, while Chelsea will now turn their attention to Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace before they host Paris Saint Germain, who they were drawn against in the quarter finals of the Champions League.
Andre Schurrle bagged a second-half hat-trick as Chelsea opened up a four point lead at the top of the Premier League by beating local rivals Fulham 3-1 at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.
The Germany international broke the deadlock seven minutes into the second half, while just sixteen minutes later, the Blues were out of sight with a comfortable three-nil lead.
Jonny Heitinga soon pulled one back for Felix Magath’s side, who remain rooted to the bottom the table while Jose Mourinho’s men are now four points clear of both Liverpool and Arsenal, and six clear of Manchester City, who now have two games in hand due to their involvement in yesterday’s Capital One Cup final, which they won by three goals to one against Sunderland.
Liverpool secured a comprehensive 3-0 win at Southampton in Saturday’s late Premier League kick-off, while Arsenal fell to a 1-0 defeat at Stoke City.
Chelsea will have the chance to extend their lead at the summit to seven points when they host Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday afternoon, with the rest of the top four not in league action.
Arsenal and Manchester City face Everton and holders Wigan Athletic respectively in the FA Cup quarter finals, while Liverpool don’t play until their league clash against champions Manchester United on Sunday week.
Jose Mourinho will not be repeating the success of his first season in his first spell as Chelsea manager, as the Blues lost the League Cup quarter final with Sunderland after extra time at the Stadium of Light.
The visitors dominated the majority of the ninety minutes, and took the lead when Lee Cattermole turned into his own net just after the break.
Former Chelsea forward Fabio Borini then drew the hosts level late on to send the game into extra time, and with the tie heading towards a penalty shoot-out, Ki Sung Yueng thumped in the winner for Gus Poyet’s men.
The Blues will now turn their attention to Monday evening’s clash with Premier League leaders Arsenal, where victory will see them top the table for Christmas, should Liverpool fail to beat Cardiff City on Saturday afternoon.
Last night’s result has led to Mourinho claiming that he may rethink his attacking approach, while he may still add another striker when the transfer window reopens next month.
The Metro understands that Porto’s Jackson Martinez and Christian Benteke of Aston Villa are both options as his current front line continue to struggle.
Fernando Torres, Demba Ba, Andre Schurrle and Samuel Eto’o have just sixteen goals between them in all competitions this season.
Posted in Chelsea News
Tagged Andre Schurrle, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Cardiff City, Christian Benteke, Demba Ba, Fabio Borini, Fernando Torres, Jackson Martinez, Porto, Samuel Eto'o, Sunderland
Chelsea have slipped to third position in the Premier League after losing 3-2 to Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Andre Schurrle put Jose Mourinho’s men in front on nine minutes before Peter Crouch drew the hosts level three minute before the break.
The host’s then took the lead five minutes into the second half through Stephen Ireland before Schurrle got his and the Blues’ second just five minutes later.
Then, in the final minute of the game, Oussama Assaidi fired in an angled shot to secure victory for Mark Hughes’ men, and consign Chelsea to their third league defeat of the season.
The club will now turn their attention to Wednesday evening’s match with Steaua Bucharest if the final round of Champions League group games, where victory will guarantee first place ahead of either Schalke or Basel who meet in Gelsenkirchen.
Meanwhile, the club are set to swoop for Monaco’s Radamel Falcao, according to the Daily Star.
The Colombia striker only moved to the Ligue 1 sidde in the summer and has scored nine times in fourteen games though Mourinho has been linked with a £60m bid as his current selection of strikers continue to misfire.
Chelsea forward Andre Schurrle has said that he and his Germany side won’t take England lightly in tomorrow evening’s friendly international at Wembley, Sky Sports understands.
The 23 year old name-checked club teammates Ashley Cole, Gary Cahill and Frank Lampard, Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere and Wayne Rooney of Manchester United as just some of the good players manager Roy Hodgson has at his disposal, whilst adding that Joachim Low’s side have much respect for their opposition.
Having gave three players their Three Lions’ debut in the 2-0 defeat to Chile on Friday evening, Hodgson is set name his strongest side tomorrow, with Blues defender Ashley Cole one of the seasoned internationals likely to return.
If selected, Cole will become the nation’s sixth most capped international outright and former England striker Stan Collymore believes that he will get the nod ahead of Everton’s Leighton Baines as the first choice left back in Brazil next summer.
Elsewhere, Patrick Bamford has been called into the England U21 squad for tomorrow’s game against San Marino, according to Sky Sports.
The as yet uncapped 20 year old, who moved to Stamford Bridge from Nottingham Forest last January has been in great goal-scoring form since moving to MK Dons on loan twelve months ago.
Posted in Chelsea News
Tagged Andre Schurrle, Arseanl, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Gary Cahill, Jack Wilshere, Manchester United, MK Dons, Nottingham Forest, Patrick Bamford, Wayne Rooney
A last minute winner from Fernando Torres secured a 2-1 victory for Chelsea against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge yesterday afternoon.
Andre Schurrle opened the scoring on thirty-three minutes with his first goal for the club, only for Sergio Aguero to pull the visitors level four minutes into the second half.
The game looked to heading for a draw before Fernando Torres capitalised on a defensive mix up to steal in and grab the winner on ninety minutes to hand all three points to Jose Mourinho’s men, and keep the pressure on leaders Arsenal who beat lowly Crystal Palace on Saturday.
The Blues will reclaim top spot if they beat Newcastle United on Saturday lunchtime, with Arsenal hosting Liverpool in the day’s late kick off.
However, they will first turn their attention to the League Cup fourth round tie with the Gunners at the Emirates tomorrow evening.
Meanwhile, the Blues will reignite their interest in Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney when the transfer window reopens in January, according to the Mirror.
Mourinho failed in his attempts to take the England international, who’s current deal at United expires at the end of next season, to Stamford Bridge in the summer.