Chelsea have been given the permission to build a £500 million 60,000-seat stadium by the mayor of London, according to reports.
This means the club can demolish or rework the current state of the stadium to increase the capacity from the current 41,600 to 60,000.
Hammersmith and Fulham Council approved the plans earlier in the year but the mayor – who makes the final decision – has given the go-ahead.
“Having taken a balanced view of the application, I’m satisfied this is a high-quality and spectacular design which will significantly increase capacity within the existing site, as well as ensuring fans can have easy access from nearby transport connections.
“I’m confident this new stadium will be a jewel in London’s sporting crown and will attract visitors and football fans from around the world,” the mayor Sadiq Khan said.
The Premier League side was elated at the permission to proceed. Continue reading
Chelsea eased into the Champions League quarter finals after beating Galatasaray 2-0 in the second leg of their last sixteen tie at Stamford Bridge yesterday evening.
With the sides having drawn 1-1 in Istanbul three weeks ago, it was the Premier League leaders who made the breakthrough through Samuel Eto’o after just four minutes.
Gary Cahill doubled the hosts’ advantage three minutes before the break, thumping in after John Terry’s initial effort was saved by Fernando Musilera.
Didier Drogba, who was given a rousing reception by the home supporters on his first return to Stamford Bridge since leaving the club at the end of the 2011/12 campaign, had a chance to pull one back for Roberto Mancini’s side late on which he failed to convert.
The Blues will discover who they will face in the last eight of the competition on Friday, twenty-four hours before they return to domestic action with their top of the table clash with Arsenal.
Manager Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports that “it doesn’t matter who” the club are drawn against in the quarter finals.
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint Germain and holders Bayern Munich are already in the hat for the draw along with the Blues, and they will be joined by either Manchester United or Olympiakos and Zenit St Petersburg or Borussia Dortmund, with the final round of last sixteen ties taking place this evening.
Tags: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Didier Drogba, Galatasaray, Gary Cahill, Manchester City, Manchester United, Olympiakos, Paris Saint Germain, Real Madrid, Samuel Eto'o, Zenit St Petersburg
Manchester United are determined to pip Chelsea to the signing of England U21 international Luke Shaw, the Metro understands.
The Blues have been considering a move for Shaw as they look for a long term replacement for Ashley Cole, while United are making plans for when Patirce Evra moves on.
With both club’s respective senior left backs linked with exits as soon as this summer, the race is on to see who will secure the 18 year old’s services.
The Southampton man is a Chelsea fan, which could give Jose Mourinho the edge though bookmakers have David Moyes as odds on favourite to complete the deal.
Meanwhile, the Blues’ boss has revealed that he is unsure how long John Terry will be out of action for, according to the Metro.
The club captain has missed the last three games through injury, having previously played every minute of the club’s Premier League campaign so far.
Jose Mourinho’s men take on Everton on Saturday lunchtime, though Mourinho is unsure whether Terry will be available for selection.
Should he miss the game, David Luiz is likely to retain his place alongside Gary Cahill at the heart of defence as Chelsea look to strengthen their grip on first place.
Chelsea turn their attention away from league matters this weekend, as they face Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon in the fifth round of this seasons FA Cup.
Gary Cahill may miss out after suffering a calf injury in Tuesday’s 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion, so David Luiz is ready to deputise alongside John Terry, who should be available after missing the past two games with a minor knock.
The sides met in the league just eleven days ago, with Branislav Ivanovic scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win for the Blues, while it was City who emerged victorious the last time they met in the cup, at Wembley in last season’s semi-final.
Meanwhile, Blues boss Jose Mourinho believes that Ashley Cole should be part of England’s World Cup squad this summer, despite losing his place as a first team regular at club level, Sky Sports understands.
Earlier this week, Three Lions’ manager Roy Hodgson suggested that the 33 year old may miss out on travelling to Brazil due to his lack of game time.
The left back, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has been linked with a move to both Liverpool and Arsenal.
Chelsea are close to securing a deal for St Etienne starlet Kurt Zouma, according to the Mail Online.
The 19 year old centre-back has been linked with a move to the Premier League throughout the winter transfer window, with Manchester United also said to be interested though Jose Mourinho appears to have won the race to secure his services.
The France U21 international is set to eventually arrive at Stamford Bridge on a long term deal for a fee believed to be in the region of around £12.5m, but is likely to spend the rest of this campaign back on loan with St Etienne.
Despite his young age, Zouma has made seventy-one first team appearances for the Ligue 1 side in all competitions, scoring six goals while he has been called up to France’s senior team, but is yet to make his debut.
Meanwhile, Gary Cahill has insisted that the Blues will not sit back when they travel to Premier League leaders Manchester City on Monday evening.
Jose Mourinho’s men currently sit in third place on fifty points, but can move level with City if they become the first team to win in the league at Eastlands this season.
Chelsea defender Gary Cahill is eager to taste title winning success with Chelsea this season, the Express understands.
The England international, who has won the FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League since joining from Bolton Wanderers two years ago, has said that he ‘is striving’ to finish the seasons as Champions, as are his teammates.
Many of the current Blues squad have won the Premier League including John Terry, Petr Cech and Frank Lampard, who were involved in all three of the club’s title winning campaigns this century.
Meanwhile, Chelsea are bracing themselves for a possible bid from Manchester United for out-of-favour midfielder Juan Mata, according to the Telegraph.
The Spain international has been regularly linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge since the start of the season, with the current Premier League champions often mentioned as potential suitors.
It has been reported that United would have to offer around £37m for any deal to be possible, and such a fee would see them break their transfer record, usurping the £30.75m they paid Tottenham Hotspur for Dimitar Berbatov in September 2008.
Mata has started just half of Chelsea’s matches in the Premier League so far this season, completing the full ninety minutes just twice.
Chelsea will be without Frank Lampard and Branislav Ivanovic for this afternoon’s trip to Southampton, as the pair both picked up injuries in Sunday’s win over Liverpool.
David Luiz will also miss the game after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season at the weekend, though fellow Brazil international Ramires returns after serving a one match ban.
Chelsea ran out 3-1 winners when the sides met at Stamford Bridge a month ago, with Gary Cahill, John Terry and Demba Ba scoring the goals after Jay Rodriguez had given the Saints the lead in the first minute.
The Blues could end the day in first place if they win, and Arsenal and Manchester City fail to win against Cardiff City and Swansea City respectively.
Elsewhere, the club have completed the signing of Burkina Faso midfielder Bertrand Traore, according to BBC Sport.
A deal was agreed for the eighteen year old back in October after he had impressed as a trialist, scoring three goals in the Blues preseason tour of Asia.
Traore made his international debut at just 15, and was part of the Burkina Faso squad for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, where he made one appearance as a substitute.
Chelsea will be without Gary Cahill for tomorrow afternoon’s match against Crystal Palace.
The defender has a thigh problem and will not be risked against the Eagles, who have been somewhat resurgent under new manager Tony Pulis.
Cesar Apilicueta will regain his spot at left back despite Ashley Cole making his first appearance in thirty-nine days in the 1-0 win over Steaua Bucharest in midweek.
The Blues will hope to close the gap between themselves and leaders Arsenal who travel Manchester City earlier in the day.
Jose Mourinho’s men then face Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Monday week.
Meanwhile, the Blues’ boss has refused to commit on whether he will again move for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney when the transfer window opens next month, ESPN understands.
The England international, who was the subject of interest from Chelsea during the summer, has been one of a small number of star performers for the Champions since David Moyes became their manager.
Rooney is entering the final eighteen months of his contract with United and the situation is likely to be monitored closely by Mourinho, who recently told reporters that he has faith in his current selection of misfiring forwards.
Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic is confident that the club have a fighting chance of reclaiming the Premier League title, Sky Sports understands.
The Blues, who currently sit in second place four points behind leaders Arsenal, last lifted the trophy under the guidance of Carlo Ancelotti back in 2010.
Ivanovic believes the team are much improved following the return of Jose Mourinho, who led the club to back to back titles during his first spell in charge at Stamford Bridge.
Meanwhile, Chelsea target Max Meyler has signed a new long term contract with Schalke, according to the Metro.
The 18 year old, who has caught the eye of a number of Europe’s elite clubs with impressive displays in both the Bundesliga and the Champions League, has confirmed that his future remains with Jens Keller’s side.
Elsewhere, Bayern Munich have entered the race to sign out of favour defender David Luiz, the Express understands.
The Brazil international, who is currently side-lined with a knee injury, has seen his opportunities limited this season with Gary Cahill and John Terry proving to be Mourinho’s preferred central defensive partnership.
Luiz could be tempted to move away from Stamford Bridge as he looks to cement a place in Luiz Felipe Scolari’s side for next summer’s World Cup finals in his native Brazil.
Chelsea have risen to second place in the Premier League after beating Southampton 3-1 at Stamford Bridge yesterday afternoon.
The visitors took the lead inside thirteen seconds through Jay Rodriguez, who capitalised on a mistake from Michael Essien.
However, the Blues improved after the second half, and Gary Cahill levelled terms ten minutes after the restart before his central defensive partner and club captain John Terry turned the game on its head soon after.
Substitute Demba Ba then fired in his first league goal since March in stoppage time to put the result beyond doubt, and secure a second straight win for Jose Mourinho’s men who will now turn their attention to Wednesday evening’s trip to lowly Sunderland, where they have won on each of their past eight visits.
Meanwhile, West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce is set to make a fresh approach for Demba Ba when the transfer window reopens next month.
His appearance off the bench yesterday was only his fifth in the Premier League this season, while his four outings in the cup competitions this time around have all come as a substitute.
Premier League leaders Arsenal were interested in securing the Senegal international’s services in the summer.