Chelsea are reportedly stalling on their potential approach for James Rodriguez after knowing of Real Madrid’s £70m asking price for the Colombia international.
The South American attacker has been constantly linked with a Premier League move after he was found applying for a UK working visa earlier in the January transfer window. Rodriguez eventually opted to stay put at the Bernabeu under the advice of agent Jorge Mendes with a view to resolving his future in the summer.
Rodriguez was partially used by Zidane Zinedine during the course of the previous campaign with most of his goals coming off the substitutes’ bench. The most surprise decision of them all was his surprise exclusion from the Champions League final squad despite training with the squad prior to the showpiece event against Juventus. Los Blancos eventually won the premier competition to become the first side ever to retain the title in the modern era. Continue reading
BranislavIvanovic has stated that he accepts his current situation after being dropped to the bench by Antonio Conte.
He said that he has no hard feelings towards the manager and that he wants to do his best for the team. He believes that the manager has made the best decision by choosing the most in-form players and that he will accept the situation at the moment.
Indeed BranislavIvanovic has been a major player for Chelsea under Jose Mourinho and seems to have now lost his first place in the team. The defender said that he understands the situation and that he will be training hard in order to win his place back in the team.
The player has been criticized for the past months, and it seems that Antonio Conte has finally decided to replace him in the team. Indeed the player has been the culprit of many mistakes that have gifted opposition goals against Chelsea. Many pundits believe that BranislavIvanovic may have a hard time in getting his place back in the team and that at the moment Antonio Conte has different alternatives in this position.
£32 million was the transfer fee that Chelsea had to pay in order to sign N’GoloKante from Leicester City, the French player completed his move to Stamford Bridge on July 16 of 2016 and so far it seems like he has impressed the head coach Antonio Conte.
N’GoloKanté has performed in all 3 of the opening league matches of Chelsea and Antonio Conte has stated himself that he has been impressed by what he has seen in relation to the 25 year old French midfielder.
On August 15, Chelsea played against West Ham in their opening match of the season 2016-17 and Antonio Conte said: “N’Golo is a great player, a great buy. He’s important for the team; he has good technique and fantastic stamina. He’s able to cover a lot of space and help his team-mates always. We are happy with his performance but I was happy with the performance of all my players.”
This was the statement released by Antonio Conte as the Italian manager said that he was impressed by the performance that N’GoloKanté displayed during that match. Chelsea went on to win that game with a final scoreboard of 2-1 and they have continued their string of positive results with successive triumphs over Watford and Burnley. Continue reading
Chelsea eased into the Champions League quarter finals after beating Galatasaray 2-0 in the second leg of their last sixteen tie at Stamford Bridge yesterday evening.
With the sides having drawn 1-1 in Istanbul three weeks ago, it was the Premier League leaders who made the breakthrough through Samuel Eto’o after just four minutes.
Gary Cahill doubled the hosts’ advantage three minutes before the break, thumping in after John Terry’s initial effort was saved by Fernando Musilera.
Didier Drogba, who was given a rousing reception by the home supporters on his first return to Stamford Bridge since leaving the club at the end of the 2011/12 campaign, had a chance to pull one back for Roberto Mancini’s side late on which he failed to convert.
The Blues will discover who they will face in the last eight of the competition on Friday, twenty-four hours before they return to domestic action with their top of the table clash with Arsenal.
Manager Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports that “it doesn’t matter who” the club are drawn against in the quarter finals.
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint Germain and holders Bayern Munich are already in the hat for the draw along with the Blues, and they will be joined by either Manchester United or Olympiakos and Zenit St Petersburg or Borussia Dortmund, with the final round of last sixteen ties taking place this evening.
Tags: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Didier Drogba, Galatasaray, Gary Cahill, Manchester City, Manchester United, Olympiakos, Paris Saint Germain, Real Madrid, Samuel Eto'o, Zenit St Petersburg
Chelsea will have David Luiz and Jon Obi Mikel available for this evenings Champions League last 16 first leg tie against Galatasaray.
Both players missed Saturday afternoon’s 1-0 win over Everton, but have made the trip to the Turkish capital ahead of the game.
Oscar has also made the squad despite being substituted at the weekend with an ankle injury, while Mohammed Salah and Nemanja Matic are both cup-tied having already featured in the competition with Basel and Benfica respectively.
Didier Drogba is expected to lead the line for Roberto Mancini’s men, giving him the chance to come up against the Blues for the first time since leaving Stamford Bridge at the end of the 2011/12 campaign.
He did score in a 3-2 win against Jose Mourinho’s Real Madrid in the second leg of last season’s quarter finals, though Galatasaray lost the tie 5-3 on aggregate.
With the Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal all having lost the first leg of their last sixteen ties against Barcelona, Olympiakos and Barcelona respectively, the Blues are in the best position to guarantee English representation in this season’s last eight for the first time since two years ago, when they went on to lift the trophy in Munich.
Tags: Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, David Luiz, Didier Drogba, Galatasaray, Jon Obi Mikel, Manchester City, Manchester United, Mohammed Salah, Nemanja Matic, Olympiakos, Oscar
Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has been praising Jose Murinho for helping develop his career, ESPN understands.
The Blues boss made the Ivory Coast international one of his first signings during his first stint at Stamford Bridge, and together they won two League Cup, and FA Cup and two Premier League titles.
The 35 year old has said that even after Mourinho left the club in 2007, the winning mentality which he created remained – something that was reflected by the clubs ability to continue clinching major titles, not least the Champions League, in which Drogba netted the decisive penalty in the shoot-out victory over Bayern Munich in May 2012.
Drogba will face Chelsea for the first time since leaving the club eighteen months ago as his current side Galatasaray were drawn against his former employers in the last sixteen of Europe’s top club competition.
Meanwhile, the club’s chances of signing Sami Khedira appear to have ended after the Germany international signed a new deal with Real Madrid, according to the Daily Star.
The 26 year old, who is likely to be out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury, has extended his contract at the Bernabeu by a further three years.
Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic is confident that the club have a fighting chance of reclaiming the Premier League title, Sky Sports understands.
The Blues, who currently sit in second place four points behind leaders Arsenal, last lifted the trophy under the guidance of Carlo Ancelotti back in 2010.
Ivanovic believes the team are much improved following the return of Jose Mourinho, who led the club to back to back titles during his first spell in charge at Stamford Bridge.
Meanwhile, Chelsea target Max Meyler has signed a new long term contract with Schalke, according to the Metro.
The 18 year old, who has caught the eye of a number of Europe’s elite clubs with impressive displays in both the Bundesliga and the Champions League, has confirmed that his future remains with Jens Keller’s side.
Elsewhere, Bayern Munich have entered the race to sign out of favour defender David Luiz, the Express understands.
The Brazil international, who is currently side-lined with a knee injury, has seen his opportunities limited this season with Gary Cahill and John Terry proving to be Mourinho’s preferred central defensive partnership.
Luiz could be tempted to move away from Stamford Bridge as he looks to cement a place in Luiz Felipe Scolari’s side for next summer’s World Cup finals in his native Brazil.
Real Madrid are to make a £20m bid for Chelsea midfielder Ramires, the Express understands.
The Spanish giants have been long time admirers of the Brazil international, and had an enquiry for the player rejected out of hand during the summer.
Real boss Carlo Ancelotti took the 26 year to Stamford Bridge while he was in charge of the Blues, and is keen to add him to an already overcrowded batch of midfielders at the Bernabeu.
Should the move take place, it may pave the way for Jose Mourinho to bring Xabi Alonso to the Bridge, with and Manchester United target Sami Khedira likely to be offloaded.
Meanwhile, the Express also claim that the Blues will attempt to intercept Bayern Munich’s move for Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski.
With Demba Ba looking increasingly likely to move on in January, the club will be on the lookout for a new forward and Mourinho has reportedly identified Poland international Lewandowski as his top transfer target.
The 25 year old looked certain to secure a move to the European Champions on a free transfer at the end of the season, but a fee as little as £7m could be enough to land him when the transfer window reopens.
Fernando Torres is keen to continue his goal-scoring run after his midweek brace in Europe, the Mirror understands.
The Spain international got his third and fourth goals of the season in the 3-0 win in Schalke on Tuesday evening, but is yet to score in the Premier League despite featuring in all but two of the Blues’ top-flight games so far.
In fact, his only league goal this calendar year came in the 2-1 victory over Everton on the final day of last season.
Meanwhile, Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed in his autobiography that he consdiered signing Petr Cech on two occasions during his time in charge of Manchester United, the Daily Star understands.
However the Scot talked himself out of securing a deal for the goalkeeper, who has been at Stamford Bridge since 2004, both times.
Elsewhere, the Express has reported that the club will battle with Manchester City for the signature of Paris Saint Germain midfielder Blaise Matuidi.
Both clubs are said to be preparing pre-contract offers for the 26 year old, who’s current deal expires in the summer.
Finally, the Blues have also joined Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in the race to sign Wolfsburg’s promising German winger Julian Brandt.
Chelsea did not make any additions to their squad on transfer deadline day, though they did sent a number of their players out on loan.
The most notable of those to secure a temporary move away from Stamford Bridge was striker Romelu Lukaku, who has moved to Everton for the remainder of the season.
The Belgium international’s last action in a Chelsea shirt was to miss the decisive penalty in last Friday’s Super Cup final defeat to Bayern Munich, while he also appeared in two of the Blues three Premier League games so far this season.
Mexico U23 midfielder Ulises Davila has moved to Cordoba, while Sam Hutchinson joins fellow Blues Gael Kakuta, Patrick van Aanholt, Cristian Cuevas and recent signing Christian Atsu at Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem.
The club managed to keep hold of Fernando Torres, Juan Mata and Demba Ba, all of whom had been linked with other clubs throughout the summer.
Meanwhile, Victor Moses has told the Liverpool Echo that a chat with Daniel Sturridge helped persuade him to make the switch to Anfield.
The pair spent six months together at Stamford Bridge before England international Sturridge moved in the January transfer window.
Tags: Bayern Munich, Cordoba, Daniel Sturridge, Demba Ba, Everton, Fernando Torres, Juan Mata, Liverpool, Romelu Lukaku, Sam Hutchinson, Ulises Davila, Victor Moses, Vitesse Arnhem