John Terry played his final game for Chelsea on May 21 of 2017 as he performed for his club in their match against Sunderland which concluded with the team of Antonio Conte claiming a 5-1 triumph.
The 36 year old English defender made a speech about his time spent in Stamford Bridge as he made over 700 appearances with more than 15 years of playing time at the English Premier League club but his time has finally reached it’s end.
“One of the most difficult days of my life. Thank you will never, ever be enough, but I’ll tell you what: I’ll be back here one day. I’m going to be supporting the players and the club from the bottom of my heart. You’ve given me everything from the age of 17 when I first started out. You picked me up when I was down, sung my name when I’ve had bad days and disappointed you as well.” Continue reading
Chelsea are reportedly stalling on their potential approach for James Rodriguez after knowing of Real Madrid’s £70m asking price for the Colombia international.
The South American attacker has been constantly linked with a Premier League move after he was found applying for a UK working visa earlier in the January transfer window. Rodriguez eventually opted to stay put at the Bernabeu under the advice of agent Jorge Mendes with a view to resolving his future in the summer.
Rodriguez was partially used by Zidane Zinedine during the course of the previous campaign with most of his goals coming off the substitutes’ bench. The most surprise decision of them all was his surprise exclusion from the Champions League final squad despite training with the squad prior to the showpiece event against Juventus. Los Blancos eventually won the premier competition to become the first side ever to retain the title in the modern era. Continue reading
Antonio Conte says that he is disappointed to see the referee Mark Clattenburg leave the Premier league.
One of the best referees in England, Clattenburg has been given the opportunity to take charge of some of the biggest games like the English FA Cup final. He was regarded as the next big thing in English football refereeing aside from Howard Webb, who retired from refereeing a few years ago. Clattenburg was recently rumoured to be considering offers from China and Saudi Arabia. These were far more lucrative than the £ 100,000 per year contract he currently receives as the Premier League referee.
In addition to this contract, Clattenburg is understood to be receiving around £5,000 per match. Now, the referee will be receiving a whopping £ 500,000 per year. More importantly, this will be money that does not attract any taxes since Saudi Arabia is a tax haven. It is also understood that China offered him around £ 1 million per year in order to be the head of refereeing. Continue reading
Antonio Conte has taken a parting shot at midfielder Oscar, who has secured a move to Chinese football, by saying that the midfielder has lost a fantastic opportunity to play in the Premier League.
Regarded as the best league in the world, the Premier League is one of the home pitch for some of the greatest players in the world like Paul Pogba and Eden Hazard. However, Oscar has chosen to follow the riches on offer, as he has moved to an unknown league where he will be earning £ 20 million per year. Oscar has become the best paid player in the world following this move.
Chelsea will be receiving £ 60 million, which can be invested on new players like James Rodriguez even in the January transfer window, for the player who was signed for just £ 25 million for years ago. Even though they have made an extremely healthy profit on the player, it seems that manager Antonio Conte is sad to lose a player just entering into the prime of his career. Continue reading
Recent revelations have showed that Chelsea really wanted to get Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly during the summer.
Sky Sports reported that Chelsea’s bid of £38 million was rejected in July, but the club’s chairman has said that the Blues actually re-submitted a bid of £58 million in a bid to get the defender this summer.
Aurelio De Laurentiis said Chelsea came to them more than once as they really wanted the defender before they turned their attention to their former player David Luiz last minute. Paris St Germain released the Brazilian to join them in defense, else the Blues would have had to wait till January for an addition.
“They offered to me £30, 35, 40, 45, 50 [million]. Mr Conte I said ‘Marina [Granovskaia, Chelsea Director] is behind me, follow me,’ I offered him that. Last moment, two days before the closing of the market, I hear £58 [million] – something like that,” De Laurentiis said.
The deal couldn’t be completed, and Koulibaly eventually renewed his contract with Napoli that would ensure he remains with the Serie A side till 2021. However, De Laurentiis hinted that the deal doesn’t mean he still couldn’t be sold.
“Koulibaly I need here to make the match. I need to play, so I need the players. Koulibaly, this year, will remain here. Next year, we will speak about,” he said.
BranislavIvanovic has stated that he accepts his current situation after being dropped to the bench by Antonio Conte.
He said that he has no hard feelings towards the manager and that he wants to do his best for the team. He believes that the manager has made the best decision by choosing the most in-form players and that he will accept the situation at the moment.
Indeed BranislavIvanovic has been a major player for Chelsea under Jose Mourinho and seems to have now lost his first place in the team. The defender said that he understands the situation and that he will be training hard in order to win his place back in the team.
The player has been criticized for the past months, and it seems that Antonio Conte has finally decided to replace him in the team. Indeed the player has been the culprit of many mistakes that have gifted opposition goals against Chelsea. Many pundits believe that BranislavIvanovic may have a hard time in getting his place back in the team and that at the moment Antonio Conte has different alternatives in this position.
£32 million was the transfer fee that Chelsea had to pay in order to sign N’GoloKante from Leicester City, the French player completed his move to Stamford Bridge on July 16 of 2016 and so far it seems like he has impressed the head coach Antonio Conte.
N’GoloKanté has performed in all 3 of the opening league matches of Chelsea and Antonio Conte has stated himself that he has been impressed by what he has seen in relation to the 25 year old French midfielder.
On August 15, Chelsea played against West Ham in their opening match of the season 2016-17 and Antonio Conte said: “N’Golo is a great player, a great buy. He’s important for the team; he has good technique and fantastic stamina. He’s able to cover a lot of space and help his team-mates always. We are happy with his performance but I was happy with the performance of all my players.”
This was the statement released by Antonio Conte as the Italian manager said that he was impressed by the performance that N’GoloKanté displayed during that match. Chelsea went on to win that game with a final scoreboard of 2-1 and they have continued their string of positive results with successive triumphs over Watford and Burnley. Continue reading
The rumours linking Diego Costa with a move away from Chelsea do not seem to be going away even after the appointment of Antonio Conte.
The striker has been linked with an imminent return to Atletico Madrid, where he became a legend in the last few years. Costa was a major factor in helping Chelsea lift the league title in the 2014-15 season, but he had a very poor season the last time around. His poor form was especially pronounced in the first half of the season when José Mourinho was the manager. Incredibly, Costa’s form including dramatically after Mourinho was sacked and Guus Hiddink was appointed.
The patchy form for the Spaniard in the last two seasons may have been one of the reasons, while language issues have also been spoken about. Costa has scored 36 goals in the last two campaigns, which is a good return for someone who cost only £ 30 million. At 27 years of age, the striker still has plenty to offer for the club if he manages to strike good form. After having been an extended holiday due to Euro 2016, Costa was seen only towards the latter end of the Chelsea’s pre-season. It remains highly doubtful if he would start the game against West Ham on Monday night.
Neither Alexandre Pato or Radamel Falcao have been making impressive performances in Stamford Bridge and both of them have returned to their parent clubs as Chelsea did not opt to extend their respective loan deals any further.
Both of those players were signed on loan deals and Chelsea had the option to extend their respective deals for a longer period of time but after disappointing, the head chiefs of the Premier League club decided to not risk spending more time or money in them as they returned to their original parent clubs and Chelsea
are now setting their sights on other players who might be signed during the summer transfer window.
The attacking department of Chelsea is one of the areas that Antonio Conte is expected to reinforce the most as the main goal-scorer of the Premier League club is Diego Costa but the Brazilian attacker has not been performing at his usual best. In the 2015-16 Premier League season, he scored only 12 goals which is a significant drop in goals compared to the 2014-15 season when he scored 20, almost double. Continue reading
Chelsea’s interim manager Guus Hiddink believes that defender and captain John Terry is worthy of a new contract.
The 35-year-old is set to leave the club at the end of the campaign as his contract runs out in a few weeks. Chelsea confirmed six months ago that they would not be extending the deal of their talisman even though the player himself expressed his desire to stay. After his recent sending-off against Sunderland, Terry will be unavailable for the last two games against Liverpool and Leicester City. This denies him a chance to put on a Chelsea shirt for one final time at Stamford Bridge.
After having given impeccable service to the club over the last decade, Hiddink feels that Terry deserves a great sending-off if he is to leave the club. However, he has urged the club to reconsider their decision since he feels that a player like Terry is invaluable in the dressing room. The presence of Terry is especially important next season considering that new manager Antonio Conte comes to the club to replace Hiddink. He has no experience of managing outside England and any help from experienced players with the Chelsea squad will be immense. Terry is last of the old guard left at the club. Continue reading