Chelsea will be looking to reclaim top spot as they take on Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane in tomorrow’s lunch-time kick off in the Premier League.
Marco Van Ginkel has been ruled out for at least six months after damaging his anterior cruciate ligament in Tuesday evening’s League Cup third round victory over Swindon Town, while fellow midfielder Ramires is also doubtful after picking up a knock in the same game.
The Blues are unbeaten in the last seven meetings with Spurs, though four of those games finished all square.
Brazilian duo Oscar and Ramires got the goals for Chelsea when the sides met at Stamford Bridge back in May, while last season’s corresponding fixture finished 4-2 to the visitors, with goals coming from Gary Cahill, Juan Mata (2) and Daniel Sturridge.
Mata will be hoping to retain his place after starting for only the third time of the season midweek.
The Spain international has been named the club’s Player of the Season in at the end of both of his campaigns in England so far, but continues to be linked with a move away.
His former club Valencia are the front-runners to secure his services in January, according to the Daily Star.
Chelsea midfielder Marco Van Ginkel looks set to miss the rest of the season, after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in Tuesday evening’s victory over Swindon Town.
The Dutch international has played little under one hundred minutes over four appearances for the Blues so far this season –his first in English football, and it has been revealed that his brief stint midweek will be his last action for six to nine months.
Meanwhile, Chelsea will travel to Arsenal in the pick of the Capital One Cup fourth round ties, with the game set to take place on either the 29th or 30th of October.
Elsewhere, Juan Mata has revealed that he has worked hard to improve his game, and that he hopes his versatility will see him become more involved in the first team, Sky Sports understands.
The Spain international made only his third start of the season two days ago, and is keen to continue playing a star role.
Nevertheless, the two time Blues Player of the Year continues to be linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge.
Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool and Manchester United have all been linked with a move for the 25 year old, though it his former club Valencia who appear to be the current front runners to secure his services, should he be sold.
Barcelona are monitoring Juan Mata’s situation at Chelsea, following reports that the Spain international is unhappy at Stamford Bridge, the Daily Star understands.
Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo claim that the two time Blues Player of the Year is uninterested with the limited role he is set to continue to play under Jose Mourinho.
Having made just one appearance for the club so far this season, the 25 year old was linked with a move away during the summer, with Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool and Manchester United all said to be interested.
However, it is the La Liga champions who are expected to make a move for the former Valencia man when the transfer window reopens in January.
Elsewhere, Brazil international Ramires has opened the door on a return to Benfica in the future, according to the Express.
The 26 year old, who moved to Stamford Bridge three years ago, has won the FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League during his time with the club.
Finally, Malaga are planning to hijack Getafe’s move for former Blues midfielder Yossi Benayoun, TalkSport understands.
The Israel international was released by the club this summer after making just fourteen appearances in three seasons with the Blues.
Posted in Chelsea News
Tagged Arsenal, Barcelona, Benfica, Chelsea, Getafe, Juan Mata, Liverpool, Malaga, Ramires, Tottenham Hotspur, Valencia, Yossi Benayoun
Juan Mata says that he is happy at Chelsea despite him being strongly linked with a move away from the club this summer, the Metro understands.
The two-time Blues Player of the Year has featured in just one of the clubs four games so far this season, though both he and manager Jose Mourinho have denied rumours of a rift.
The Spain international has won the Champions League, FA Cup and Europa League since arriving from Valencia two years ago, and he is keen to add more honours to that collection.
Meanwhile, following yesterday’s reports that David Luiz turned down an official approach from Barcelona during the transfer window, the Brazilian defender has claimed that two of his international teammates attempted to persuade him to make the switch, according to the Express.
Dani Alves and Neymar, the latter of which moved to the Nou Camp this summer, tried to convince Luiz to join them at the Catalan club for this season, but he declined while manager Jose Mourinho also insisted that the was not for sale.
Finally, Frank Lampard will win his 99th international cap this as England face Moldova in the first of their World Cup Qualifier double header.
Ashley Cole and Gary Cahill have also been named in Roy Hodgson’s starting XI for the game at Wembley this evening.
Jose Mourinho has revealed that he blocked Demba Ba’s proposed move to Arsenal after the Gunners completed the signing of Germany international Mezut Ozil, the Metro understands.
The Blues boss believes that by signing the midfielder, who he worked with for three years at the Bernabeu, the North London club have emerged as title contenders.
Arsene Wenger’s inability to complete a deal for Ba leaves him with desperately short of out and out strikers, with Olivier Giroud and unproven France U20 striker Yaya Sanogo his only real options in that position.
Elsewhere, Everton’s Kevin Mirallas has revealed that he helped persuade international teammate Romelu Lukaku to move to Goodison Park for the rest of this season, according to the Metro.
The Belgium forward’s move on deadline was one of the surprise deals of the summer, with it expected that he would be integrated into the Blues starting eleven this term following an impressive spell at West Bromwich Albion.
The Belgium squad are currently together ahead of Friday evening’s World Cup Qualifier against Scotland, giving Mirallas the opportunity to convince the striker to once again leave Stamford Bridge on loan.
Finally, reports in Spain have suggested that Valencia failed in a bid to re-sign Juan Mata.
The two-time Chelsea player of the year was linked with a move away from the club this summer, but has remained as part of Jose Mourinho’s squad.
Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola has insisted that he is not considering a bid for Chelsea defender David Luiz, according to the Express.
The former Barcelona boss, who lost his first competitive game in charge of the European Champions to Borussia Dortmund in the German Super Cup on Saturday, has said that he is happy with his current selection of defenders, and that reports linking him with a move for Luiz are not true.
Meanwhile, the Mail Online have reported that Valencia are keen on signing Fernando Torres, as they look to replace Tottenham-bound Roberto Soldado.
The La Liga side are expected to receive around £26m for Soldado, but due to financial constraints can offer no more than £25m for the man Chelsea paid a British record £50m for two and a half years ago.
Torres has largely flattered to deceive since arriving at Stamford Bridge, scoring just thirty-four goals in one hundred and thirty-one games.
The majority of those goals came last season across si competitions, though only eight were scored in the Premier League.
Finally, as the first team squad embarked on their North American tour, Chelsea U21’s eased past non-league Ilkeston 5-1 in a pre-season friendly at the New Manor Ground.