Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has admitted that summer signing Alvaro Morata is improving a lot in terms of his physical condition.
The Spain international scored on his league debut for Chelsea earlier this month as he came on as a second-half substitute in the 3-2 defeat to Burnley.
Owing to his impressive performance, Conte handed him his first league start against London rivals Tottenham Hotspur, and he put in a commanding performance, although he missed a glorious opportunity to score in the first period.
Prior to the Everton game, Conte spoke about the positives of his summer signing, who he still believes is adapting to Premier League football, he said: “Morata is improving a lot. Also Bakayoko is working with us for only 10 days. To go into a different style of football is not simple. You have to understand the movement, when you attack the space, whether you stay to receive the ball, there are many situations to understand. Morata is improving a lot in physical condition and is also adapting to the football.”
In the absence of Gary Cahill, Cesc Fabregas (both suspended) and the injured Eden Hazard, the Blues put in a strong performance against Spurs, who succumbed to yet another defeat at the Wembley Stadium. Chelsea host Everton in their next league outing on Sunday, and they will go with a bit of positivity into the game, having not lost at home to the Toffees in their previous 22 outings. Continue reading
Chelsea have been given the permission to build a £500 million 60,000-seat stadium by the mayor of London, according to reports.
This means the club can demolish or rework the current state of the stadium to increase the capacity from the current 41,600 to 60,000.
Hammersmith and Fulham Council approved the plans earlier in the year but the mayor – who makes the final decision – has given the go-ahead.
“Having taken a balanced view of the application, I’m satisfied this is a high-quality and spectacular design which will significantly increase capacity within the existing site, as well as ensuring fans can have easy access from nearby transport connections.
“I’m confident this new stadium will be a jewel in London’s sporting crown and will attract visitors and football fans from around the world,” the mayor Sadiq Khan said.
The Premier League side was elated at the permission to proceed. Continue reading
When it comes to winning the Premier League title of the current season, Chelsea are the favorites as Antonio Conte has led his team to the top of the English League with 56 points secured from the 23 opening league matches that they have played so far.
Tottenham Hotspur is sitting in 2nd
place with 47 points, Arsenal in 3rd
also with 47 points, Liverpool in 4th
place with 46 points, Manchester City also has 46 points and Manchester United is slightly behind the rest of the table-toppers with 42 points.
Eden Hazard believes that despite Manchester United falling behind in the English Premier League standings, they are one of the main teams that Chelsea should be worried about along with Arsenal.
‘’I think Arsenal and Manchester United are the biggest title rivals. United had a bad first part of the season and I think for a couple of games now, they played well. They drew against Stoke, but they have good players and the squad is very good. The manager is good, so they will be second or third. Tottenham also are strong. We lost there, but for me it is more Manchester United. They are more experienced. That is my opinion, maybe I’m wrong’’ Chelsea’s Eden Hazard said. Continue reading
Recent revelations have showed that Chelsea really wanted to get Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly during the summer.
Sky Sports reported that Chelsea’s bid of £38 million was rejected in July, but the club’s chairman has said that the Blues actually re-submitted a bid of £58 million in a bid to get the defender this summer.
Aurelio De Laurentiis said Chelsea came to them more than once as they really wanted the defender before they turned their attention to their former player David Luiz last minute. Paris St Germain released the Brazilian to join them in defense, else the Blues would have had to wait till January for an addition.
“They offered to me £30, 35, 40, 45, 50 [million]. Mr Conte I said ‘Marina [Granovskaia, Chelsea Director] is behind me, follow me,’ I offered him that. Last moment, two days before the closing of the market, I hear £58 [million] – something like that,” De Laurentiis said.
The deal couldn’t be completed, and Koulibaly eventually renewed his contract with Napoli that would ensure he remains with the Serie A side till 2021. However, De Laurentiis hinted that the deal doesn’t mean he still couldn’t be sold.
“Koulibaly I need here to make the match. I need to play, so I need the players. Koulibaly, this year, will remain here. Next year, we will speak about,” he said.
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has stated that Diego Costa should stay with the London club.
There were reports that the striker might be looking for a move to Atletico Madrid, but Conte has denied the existence of such rumors. He said that Diego Costa is happy to play with Chelsea and that he will be staying with the club next season.
Antonio Conte said that Diego Costa is an important player for the team and that there is no reason that he should be leaving in the summer. He admitted that he has always been a fan of the player and that he wants the player to stay at the club. Conte said that Diego Costa is an outstanding player and that he is one of the best forward players in the world at the moment.
For Antonio Conte, Chelsea needs to have the best players in the world and that they will not allow Diego Costa to leave. He said that Costa is happy at the club and that they are building a team around him. He stated that he is not aware of any rumors that Diego Costa wants to leave the club. At the moment he is a Chelsea player and said that he would be staying for the long term.
An injury time goal from club captain John Terry was enough to give Chelsea all three points against top-four hopefuls Everton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday afternoon.
The result keeps the Blues in first place in the Premier League, after their three nearest challengers also secured home victories over the weekend.
Arsenal thumped relegation threatened Sunderland 4-1, Manchester City, like Chelsea left if late to beat Stoke City 1-0 and Liverpool edged out Swansea City in a seven-goal thriller on Merseyside yesterday afternoon.
Jose Mourinho’s men will now turn their attention to the first leg of the Champions League last sixteen tie against Galatasary on Wednesday evening, while they return to league action three days later with the short trip bottom-of-the-table Fulham.
Meanwhile, Inter Milan veteran Javier Zanetti has dismissed speculation linking him with a move to Stamford Bridge by insisting that he is happy at the Serie A club, Sky Sports understands.
The 40 year old full-back had reportedly been a target for his former manager Jose Mourinho, who was said to be considering offering the Argentinian a one-year deal with a view to him becoming a coach.
However, Zanetti has said there has been no talk of a possible transfer, and has assured Inter fans that he will be staying put.
Jose Mourinho will have almost a fully fit squad to choose from for tomorrow lunchtime’s visit of Everton, with John Terry expected to return to the Blues starting line-up after missing the last three games with a muscle injury.
Marco van Ginkel, who is out for the season with an ACL injury is set to be the only absentee, as the Premier League leaders look to open up a four point lead at the top.
Second place Arsenal face Sunderland at home later in the day, while Manchester City in third welcome Stoke City to the Etihad Stadium.
Roberto Martinez’s men, who themselves hold aspirations of qualifying for next season’s Champions League, ran out 1-0 winners when the sides met at Goodison Park back in September.
That was the Toffee’s fourth win in their last eight league meetings with Chelsea, who saw their unbeaten run of twelve games ended by Manchester City in the fifth round of the FA Cup last weekend.
Romelu Lukaku, who is currently out injured, would be ineligible to face his parent club regardless.
The Belgium international, who is yet to make an appearance for the Blues, has scored nine goals in twenty appearances so far this season.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is confident he can wrap up deals for both Edinson Cavani and Luke Shaw before this summer’s World Cup finals in Brazil, according to the Mirror.
A striker and a left back are high on the Blues’ boss’s list of targets with his current selection of strikers struggling for consistency, and with Ashley Cole’s time with the club seemingly drawing to a close.
Cavani appears to be the club’s first choice striker, with Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney set to sign a new contract at Old Trafford while Shaw is expected to be pursued by a number a clubs come the end of the season, with Chelsea and United currently the front runners in the race to secure his services.
The Blues are expected to part-fund the deals by selling fringe players such as Demba Ba and Romelu Lukaku, the latter of which is yet to play for the club having spent the last eighteen months out on loan first with West Bromwich Albion and then Everton.
There is also a doubt over three of the clubs senior players, with John Terry and Frank Lampard, along with Cole, not certain of new deals at the West London outfit.
Chelsea have crashed out of this seasons FA Cup after losing Saturday afternoon’s fifth round tie at Manchester City by two goals to nil.
Goals either side of half time from Stevan Jovetic and Samir Nasri secured victory for Manuel Pellegrini’s side, who kept alive their hopes of winning every competition in which they are competition this season.
The defeat was only the Blues’ second inside ninety minutes in the competition since they went out to Barnsley in the quarter finals back in the 2007/08 campaign, with the other defeat coming, incidentally, to City in the semi-finals at Wembley last season.
Jose Mourinho’s men will now challenge on just the two fronts, with their next match coming at home to Everton on Saturday afternoon, before the first leg of their Champions League last sixteen clash with Galatasaray in Istanbul four days later.
Meanwhile, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers praised John Terry, amid many calling for the Chelsea captain to return to the England set up ahead of this summer’s World Cup finals in Brazil, the Mirror understands.
Rodgers, who worked at Stamford Bridge four years as head youth coach then reserve team coach before leaving to manage Watford in 2008, highlighted the centre-back as ‘a perfect example of an English player’.
Chelsea turn their attention away from league matters this weekend, as they face Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon in the fifth round of this seasons FA Cup.
Gary Cahill may miss out after suffering a calf injury in Tuesday’s 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion, so David Luiz is ready to deputise alongside John Terry, who should be available after missing the past two games with a minor knock.
The sides met in the league just eleven days ago, with Branislav Ivanovic scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win for the Blues, while it was City who emerged victorious the last time they met in the cup, at Wembley in last season’s semi-final.
Meanwhile, Blues boss Jose Mourinho believes that Ashley Cole should be part of England’s World Cup squad this summer, despite losing his place as a first team regular at club level, Sky Sports understands.
Earlier this week, Three Lions’ manager Roy Hodgson suggested that the 33 year old may miss out on travelling to Brazil due to his lack of game time.
The left back, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has been linked with a move to both Liverpool and Arsenal.