Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is determined to start the new season on a high in order to avoid a repeat of the 2015/16 campaign where the Blues slumped to a lowly 10th in the league standings.
The Blues had been crowned champions during the 2014/15 season, and none would have predicted what would happen next as the Blues lingered near the drop zone when Jose Mourinho was axed in December 2015.
Conte took the Blues to the Premier League title during his maiden season in English management last term, but he is expecting a tougher challenge next year with the Champions League adding the extra pressure of games. The former Juventus boss cited that he would like to avoid a similar season to that of Mourinho’s in 2015/16 whilst he will also try to keep his managerial position unlike Mourinho and Claudio Ranieri, who were sacked within months of their respective league triumphs for Chelsea and Leicester City respectively.
“We know the difficulty of the next season and for sure we want to avoid the Mourinho season with Chelsea. Continue reading
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has insisted that Alvaro Morata was his prime striker target for the summer despite missing out on Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United. The Red Devils signed Lukaku for an initial £75m earlier this month and Conte was said to be fuming after missing out on the Belgium international.
However, during a press-conference in Beijing, Conte has highlighted that Morata was their first choice for the transfer window and hopes to utilise his services for the upcoming campaign and beyond, he said: “Morata for sure is our first choice. He is a good player, the right prospect for Chelsea and hopes to show his value with us.” Continue reading
Monaco midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko has reportedly undergone a successful medical with Chelsea ahead of his proposed move later in the week.
The France international was one of the many standout performers for Monaco last season as they ended Paris Saint-Germain’s stranglehold on the title. Bakayoko was initially associated with a move to Old Trafford, but Antonio Conte managed to convince him to join the Blues with the assurance of regular first-team football.
According to The Express, the player has already had a series of medical tests with the west London giants, and the move will become official as early as Saturday – when the transfer window reopens. Monaco were initially said to have been playing hardball in negotiations over Bakayoko, but they have eventually agreed on a £35m sum in order to sell the former Rennes man. Continue reading
John Terry played his final game for Chelsea on May 21 of 2017 as he performed for his club in their match against Sunderland which concluded with the team of Antonio Conte claiming a 5-1 triumph.
The 36 year old English defender made a speech about his time spent in Stamford Bridge as he made over 700 appearances with more than 15 years of playing time at the English Premier League club but his time has finally reached it’s end.
“One of the most difficult days of my life. Thank you will never, ever be enough, but I’ll tell you what: I’ll be back here one day. I’m going to be supporting the players and the club from the bottom of my heart. You’ve given me everything from the age of 17 when I first started out. You picked me up when I was down, sung my name when I’ve had bad days and disappointed you as well.” Continue reading
Chelsea have signed German defender Antonio Rudiger, according to reports. The Guardian reports that the player would have his medical at Stamford Bridge next week as the club announces the joining of former Manchester City keeper Willy Caballero, and possibly Alex Sandro.
Chelsea have offered Serie A giant AS Roma over £33 million for the defender – Roma wanted up to €45 million but Chelsea’s €38 million bid pulled through. The Premier League champs had started with €35 million before they increased their bid price. Chelsea will pay Roma an initial €33 million while adding €5 million in bonuses. Continue reading
Chelsea are reportedly stalling on their potential approach for James Rodriguez after knowing of Real Madrid’s £70m asking price for the Colombia international.
The South American attacker has been constantly linked with a Premier League move after he was found applying for a UK working visa earlier in the January transfer window. Rodriguez eventually opted to stay put at the Bernabeu under the advice of agent Jorge Mendes with a view to resolving his future in the summer.
Rodriguez was partially used by Zidane Zinedine during the course of the previous campaign with most of his goals coming off the substitutes’ bench. The most surprise decision of them all was his surprise exclusion from the Champions League final squad despite training with the squad prior to the showpiece event against Juventus. Los Blancos eventually won the premier competition to become the first side ever to retain the title in the modern era. Continue reading
Last season’s abysmal display by The Blues that saw them finish tenth helped fuel rumours of their top striker, Diego Costa wanting out. Luckily for Chelsea, Conte’s appointment bought enough time to convince the 28-year old that he could have his entire dream come through right there at the Stamford Bridge.
The first half of the season saw Chelsea run rampant, winning 11 games on the bounce and opening a huge gap between them and the rest of the league. Costa was at the heart of such run of form, discovering the scoring instincts that went blunt last season. The Spaniard scored 20 goals in the Premier League by January and even if that might look meagre by his standards, he very much made up for what he lack in goals by being at his nuisance best, tirelessly provoking opposition defenders in a bid to get them walked up and bag a red card. Continue reading
Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata has reportedly turned down a move to the Chinese Super League his summer.
The star was offered a mega deal worth £147 million to move Far East but he turned it down without batting any eyelid, preferring the competitive European football.
Marca reports that the player would have earned almost £30 million in annual wages for five years had he agreed to the deal. The player is an interest of Premier League giants Chelsea. Coach Antonio Conte managed him while he was on loan at Juventus and they could reunite at Stamford Bridge after this season.
Morata has netted 20 times in all competitions this term, despite Coach Zinedine Zidane favouring Karim Benzema in the pecking order. If the Spaniard stays at Madrid, he could get to take over from Benzema but he would get fewer chances before then. At the Bernabeu, he is assured titles too while leaving Spain might be a gamble.
With the future of Blues striker Diego Costa not certain, and with Chelsea set to play more competitions, the club requires a top striker. Morata has the youth and experience and he would be a good fit but for now no definite decisions seem to have been made. Continue reading
Cesc Fabregas has denied suggestions that he is looking for a move away from Chelsea.
He has categorically deny these rumours and says that he is only focused on the blues. Since coming to Chelsea in the summer of 2014, the midfielder has been an immense part of the squad. He was a major factor behind of the club winning the league title in the 2014-15 season. Even though he has not been a regular starter this season, largely due to the lack of Champions League football, Fabregas has played a crucial role in Chelsea remaining top of the table for much of the campaign.
The blues midfielder, though, has been linked with the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool in the last couple of weeks. Both clubs are ready to make an offer of around £25 million for the 30-year-old. Chelsea would not be in the mood to lose him, as it is extremely difficult to replace a player like Fabregas. Continue reading
Antonio Conte has confirmed that John Terry may not play much in the remainder of the campaign.
The Chelsea defender recently announced his exit from the club at the end of the season. This comes as a major news considering that Terry has been at the club for over two decades. He has also been the captain of Chelsea since 2004. It has always been difficult to replace a player like Terry in all these years, but age has been catching up with the former England captain in the last few years. He has played very little football in this current campaign. There appears no room for sentiment as Conte is not prepared to give the player a Wembley send-off by giving him a starting line-up position against Tottenham this weekend.
Chelsea take on Tottenham in the FA Cup semifinals. Gary Cahill is unavailable for the game due to a minor injury problem. The club are also coming on the back of a poor run of form which has seen them suffer two defeats – against Crystal Palace and Manchester United – in the last three matches. Continue reading